
Went to Tuscumbia, AL for work this weekend. A portion of the Trail of Tears was dedicated and SH and I went to represent the man. I mean the state. Anyhoo, we went to Ivy Green, birthplace and childhood home of Helen Keller. It was great and I learned lots I didn't know about her. For instance:
- Helen Keller is on Alabama's state quarter (I knew this part), and is the only state quarter to feature a woman (I didn't know this part).
- She had an I.Q. of 160.
- She had a sister and a brother that no one hears about.
- They think the illness which caused her blindness and deafness may have been meningitis.
- She is a descendant of John Quincy Adams.
But the most important thing I learned, thanks to the tour guide repeating it over and over, is that Helen Keller was pretty. Or, as the tour guide said it, "Y'all wasn't she priiiiiity?"
[Insert FemiNazi rant here]
I mean really, all the things she accomplished wouldn't have amounted to much if she'd been homely. Because the real determination of a woman's worth is her looks, right? Geez, if I were that priiiiity I would never tell anyone I had an I.Q. of 160 because it might take away from the attraction.
In the name of God and all that is Holy, I thought we'd moved on, people. We're there to learn about an amazing person who changed the way the entire world thought about and treated the blind and deaf and the one thing this woman was truly proud of is the fact that Helen was attractive?!?! And she kept speaking unnecessarily loudly to a Japanese couple in our tour group like they were the deaf ones.
SH and I were talking on the way back and realized that the only reason Helen Keller got a degree, met heads of state and wrote over a dozen books is because she wasn't marriageable. I wonder if her family said, "Poor Helen, she can't get a husband, so I guess she'll have to console herself with learnin'." Maybe we never heard about her siblings because they weren't priiiiiity.


I love to take photos of interesting, random things on the side of the road or in everyday places. Unusual signs, three-legged dogs, that kind of thing. so I couldn't pass these up at one of our gas station stops on the way home.





No comments:
Post a Comment