Southernism of the Day

Come-to-Jesus Meeting

Now this Southernism is one of my favorites. This is used to describe a confrontation between folks who don't see eye to eye. I was reminded of it yesterday.

Example: "I had to have a come-to-Jesus meeting with my professor yesterday about her false
accusation."
or

"Once Jolene had a come-to-Jesus meeting with her boss, she got that raise she wanted."

Generally, the person who claims that such a meeting is necessary is the person who feels slighted. The person with whom he or she intends to have the meeting is usually unaware that such a meeting is necessary.

1 comment:

cladee said...

I thought of one the other day...

"hug your neck"

I remember when I first heard that phrase after moving to Bama, I thought it was hilarious.

A Southerner's adventures in fiber arts and other worthy pursuits

How to Speak Southern