Southernism of the Day

Bless her/his/your/heart

What a versatile expression! It can be uttered as sincere concern or used to cover your *ss when you've delivered an insult.

Example 1
sincere concern: "When does your Mama get out of the hospital, bless her heart?"

Example 2
covering your *ss: "He ain't got the sense God gave a turnip, bless his heart."

To further emphasize the fact that you are not really 'talking bad about someone', this phrase can be combined with another popular qualifier:

I don't mean to be ugly, but...

Example: "I don't mean to be ugly, but her youngun's are about the homeliest I've ever seen, bless their hearts."

1 comment:

Crazy For Yarn In Alabama said...

OMG I have SOOOO used all these!!! LOL!!!

Isn't it GREAT to be in the south??? Where else can you talk about someone, end with "well, bless her heart" and it all be O.K.?? LOL!!!!!

A Southerner's adventures in fiber arts and other worthy pursuits

How to Speak Southern