Be Careful What You Wish For

Once upon a time, my husband told me that he would like to see me get a hobby, something to keep me occupied and happy. While I had several interests, there was nothing I could claim as a hobby, per se. But as I told him last week,




BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR




I now have no less than 3 1/2 hobbies: photography, weaving and knitting. The half is made up of sewing and crocheting. The two combined don't equal a whole (yet!) because I haven't technically attempted them. But I own a new sewing machine (thank you, Sears!) and several crochet hooks (thank you, Cladee!) so that must mean they are also my new hobbies. I have "practiced sewn" a bit with an old cloth napkin. Sewing a straight line is much more difficult than one would assume, by the way. I bought a pattern for a purse and also one for a skirt. This weekend I hope to start on one of them and I assure you, I will photodocument each painful step of the way.




My yummy friend Cladee gave me several crochet hooks and some pretty, variegated yarn today. She left it all on my desk at work with a note that read "Get your crochet on." And I intend to. She is a gifted crocheter who has watched me suffer through trying to knit. I guess she decided that I need to start with something that requires only one implement that is not pointy. She insists that crochet is easier than knitting, so I will believe her and give it a shot. I eagerly await becoming a multi-fiber artist!



I thought knitting would be relaxing, but I only seem to be able to perform the "angry knitting" technique. My stitches are so tight they don't even move up and down the needle. Maybe I'm concentrating too hard. I'm sure that as I get better it will be more relaxing. I confess, I was inspired by Crazy Aunt Purl's blog. Crazy Aunt Purl
I stumbled upon it while browsing fiber arts/knitting blogs and now I'm completely addicted to it. That Crazy Aunt Purl is a hoot!
Hope to have some cool photos to show you after this weekend.
This cool cartoon can be found at Natalie Dee's awesome website.

2 comments:

Bev said...

I can make knots as tight as LEATHER!! I'm sure you'll do better! You have an amazing amount of patience.

cladee said...

Aww, thanks for the shout-out! You know I will help you to the best of my abilitiiii. You can dooo itt!!!

A Southerner's adventures in fiber arts and other worthy pursuits

How to Speak Southern