Oh...my...God! It is so *%$#! hot down here in Dixie. Today's forecast is 104 with a heat index of 111. No one wants to go outside for any reason, for any amount of time. The local humane shelter says there are several pet deaths every day from stupid people leaving them outside. My power bill will probably be a gazillion dollars this month. And I'll be glad to pay it, too. I've lived in Alabama my entire 32 years and don't remember it being quite this miserable.
But, Mr. Bush, in all his 'wisdom', insists global warming is a myth.
Now, I'm not saying this recent warming trend is solely the result of pollution and our misuse of Mother Earth. The planet regularly has warming periods and cooling periods. I do think, though, that we've hastened it with our lack of respect for Creation. People can be so selfish. Myself included.
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.
E. B. White
US author & humorist (1899 - 1985)
A Southerner's adventures in fiber arts and other worthy pursuits
How to Speak Southern


No comments:
Post a Comment