And now for the whining portion of this blog...
You know how sad it is when old, thirtysomethings try to do cheerleading moves from high school? Or even a simple cartwheel? And they can't really do it 'cuz they're inflexible and, well, old, and they end up spraining something?
Yeah, that's how my old, thirtysomething brain feels right now. Sprained as a result of disuse and sudden reuse. I've only endured two classes of graduate school and already it hurts. It's been a decade since I was a student and I am soooo feeling it. I pray that it's something I'll get used to, like wearing headgear. Only I never did.
Just finished a small portion of this week's reading: Lemert's Social Theory. Y'all, I've only made it through the introduction and already I need an interpreter. I grasp most of what ol' boy's saying, but he uses more commas and semicolons than I do! Behold the interjections and side notes! Speak plainly, man. HOW IS THIS RELEVANT TO MY LIFE???? Oh, that's right - archaeology is a subfield of anthropology which is a subfield of sociology. That's how. I must say, however, that in the six years I've worked as a real, professional archaeologist I've never used this crap. Yes, I know why I need to learn it, but I don't have to like it.
Anyhoo, I just wanted to whine a bit and lament that there are no Ace bandages for the gray matter. Pity. Wait - I think it's bleeding now. What about a Band-Aid?
A Southerner's adventures in fiber arts and other worthy pursuits
How to Speak Southern


1 comment:
At least you can rest in the comfort that the biggest majority of the crap you must take in college is thankfully things that you WON'T use every day....I mean come on, just how many of us actually us Algebra on any given day????? LOL!!!
I can only imagine how tough it is...hang in there...you'll settle into your groove and it will get smoother for you!!!!
What an accomplishment!!!
Post a Comment