
I, however, am no tanner. I have tried about half a dozen times, but I just can't get it right. If I didn't have a job I could probably work it out. If tanning hides WAS my job, maybe it would happen. It takes approximately a week to complete the process. Darn if my job and errands and sleeping don't get in the way. This was my last attempt. Maybe I'll try one more time, since I made that nifty hide frame and my father-in-law has been storing it for me. Since I have a supply of hides
(my husband and I and his family and pretty much all his friends hunt) I thought it would be a great idea to use as many parts of the critter as possible. I had visions of making native dress from a hide a tanned. This hide ended up being a very big chew toy for a dog. At least my dogs-in-law will be happy. Now for anyone is who horrified and offended by this photo and the fact that I am a hunter, know this: I have a great rifle and scope, so it only takes one shot. We eat every deer killed and rarely have to purchase beef which has questionable origins and loads of hormones and additives. And I do use other parts of the animals in my experimental archaeology projects. I am not in it for the antlers. Of course, if a record buck walks out in front of me and my great rifle and scope, he's toast. Er, make that roast.
(my husband and I and his family and pretty much all his friends hunt) I thought it would be a great idea to use as many parts of the critter as possible. I had visions of making native dress from a hide a tanned. This hide ended up being a very big chew toy for a dog. At least my dogs-in-law will be happy. Now for anyone is who horrified and offended by this photo and the fact that I am a hunter, know this: I have a great rifle and scope, so it only takes one shot. We eat every deer killed and rarely have to purchase beef which has questionable origins and loads of hormones and additives. And I do use other parts of the animals in my experimental archaeology projects. I am not in it for the antlers. Of course, if a record buck walks out in front of me and my great rifle and scope, he's toast. Er, make that roast.


1 comment:
WOW- did you shoot that deer? You go girl! A real Survivor!!
Post a Comment