I Give You...the Green Trapezoid

Even with a broken needle I managed to produce a finished project. It started out as a rectangle in garter stitch, but ended up a trapezoid since it only has 2 right angles. Could someone please tell me how I manage to add stitches?????? I don't even know how to increase yet!

Now I freely admit I was watching the movie Apocalypto about halfway through the process and that's when things started to go awry. Great movie, I loved it, but it is stressful and that is reflected in my knitting. I suppose if I actually stop knitting while watching T.V. I'll have no excuse for not being good at this! But hey, I can wash dishes with a trapezoid, I'm not particular. By the way, put the metal needles there for a scale just so you could see how small my dish rag is. This must be a hoot for all you experienced knitters out there! Do you even remember being so unskilled? Maybe most folks are better the first time, I don't know. I will keep trying. I had an epiphany the other day. As much as I'd love to have beautiful sweaters and baby stuff to show for my efforts, it's really more about the process. I love the rhythm of knitting. Knitting is relaxing for me. If I never make anything other than a dish rag, that's okay with me. Knitting provides enjoyment and I'll take it where I can get it.


In other fiber art news, I made a Peruvian flat braid today on my lunch hour. I have wanted to learn finger weaving for quite a while, and I thought I'd begin with a simple one. I hope to one day make sashes and garters for living history demonstrations. This doesn't count as a new hobby because it IS weaving, after all. I'll post photos later since I'm having severe technical difficulties right now. Dadblasted computers. Expletive, expletive, expletive!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Bev said...

i LOVE your dish rag! It is soo cool that you are learning to knit.

Hate to hear about the computer difficulties. Keep at it.

luvu-bev

Crazy For Yarn In Alabama said...

The good thing about a "warsh rag" is that once it gets wet you can just stretch it out to the shape you want and it stay that way!! (I have a problem with binding off too tight and end up with similar looking cloths)...BUT....you just keep on at it....like anything else, the more you do it the better you get. As for the increases, I'm betting you had the yarn to the front instead of to the back when you did your knit stitch....that is the easiest way to end up with an extra stitch and not realize it. When I was learning to knit I practiced on dish cloths...then I practiced on following a pattern and getting used going between a K and P stitch. After about 15 or 20 cloths, each a different pattern I was ready to move on....they make GREAT little gifts!! I say GOOD job!!!

A Southerner's adventures in fiber arts and other worthy pursuits

How to Speak Southern