Used to could
used to: modal verb; indicates habitual action; used in the past tense to say that somebody or something habitually or usually did something
could: modal auxiliary verb used as the past tense of "can"
*This expression is three separate words uttered in very rapid succession so that it sounds like only one word. Pronunciation is more like this: yoostakood. I believe it violates no less than four grammatical rules.
Example: "I used to could eat as much as I wanted and never gain weight, until I turned 30."
"You used to could fish all you want at the pier 'til they built condos out there."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A Southerner's adventures in fiber arts and other worthy pursuits
How to Speak Southern


2 comments:
I can't wait for you to get back to the office! I have missed you greatly. I can't wait to hear all about your trip and see pictures. MWAAAAH
How about the southernism yourmommanem?
Post a Comment